Life can get busy, and scheduling an annual health check-up—for yourself or your little one—is something that tends to get pushed down the to-do list, especially when everyone is healthy and feeling fine. But making time to prioritize your family’s health and wellness today can really pay off down the road.
In this blog article, we’ll discuss the benefits of an annual health check-up and what to expect at this vital visit with your doctor.
Why is an annual health check-up necessary?
Both children and adults can benefit from an annual health check-up. Even if you’re currently in good health, meeting with your primary care doctor once a year face-to-face can help them get a comprehensive look at your overall health and unique wellness needs.
You can also build a rapport with your doctor at your annual health check-up, which can build mutual trust. Establishing a trusting relationship with your doctor can benefit your health now and in the future.
The annual health check-up is an excellent time for you and your doctor to discuss preventative care and important disease screenings you may need. You can also discuss overall wellness and any lifestyle changes that may benefit you.
What to expect at your annual health check-up
For kids, the annual health check-up is typically called a “wellness visit.” Adults should think of their annual health check-ups the same way. It is a visit with your doctor to review your overall wellness and discuss ways to maintain good health.
Your doctor will personalize your annual health check-up appointment based on your medical history and age group. During the visit, your doctor will typically:
- Check your vital signs. The doctor or nurse will take your temperature, blood pressure, heart rate, and respiration rate.
- Perform a physical exam. Your doctor will look at your eyes, ears, and throat, and they may feel areas of your stomach and back.
- Administer vaccines. If you’re due for any vaccines or booster shots, your doctor will let you know or provide the shot(s) at your visit.
- Review your medications. Your doctor will talk to you about your prescriptions and any over-the-counter drugs or supplements you’re taking to see if they’re working well for you and discuss any side effects.
- Order health screenings. If you’re due for any blood work or recommended screenings like a colonoscopy, your doctor will let you know and can get those scheduled.
- Discuss wellness and disease prevention. Your doctor will talk to you about your lifestyle and make recommendations on things you can do to maintain good health and reduce your risk for disease.
What are the benefits of an annual health check-up?
Your annual health check-up is a chance for you and your doctor to discuss your risks for any health issues and make sure you’re on track to limit those risks and stay healthy for years to come.
A few key benefits of an annual health check-up include:
- It allows your doctor to track and stay on top of any changes in your health over time.
- It allows you to discuss any health issues you need to work on and create a plan with your doctor.
- It gives you a chance to discuss anything that’s been bothering you, but not enough to schedule a standalone appointment (e.g., a tinge of pain that comes and goes, unusual fatigue, etc.)
- Most insurance plans fully cover annual health check-up appointments (check with your insurance provider to see what’s covered for you).
Visit Ikechukwu Ozoigbo, MD, for your 2022 health check-up
Dr. Ozoigbo (pronounced oh-zee-bo) is a board-certified family medicine physician specializing in preventative medicine and managing chronic illnesses. He is currently accepting new patients for annual health check-up appointments.
Sign up for the LMH patient portal
You can now manage your health online, with Logansport Memorial Hospital’s HealtheLife patient portal, powered by CernerHealth
There is no cost for your free patient portal account, and its set-up only takes a few minutes.
Create your patient portal account
You might also like: