On behalf of the Cass County Healthy Department (CCHD), Logansport Memorial Hospital has been asked to share that the CCHD has confirmed the first coronavirus-related death in Cass County.
The patient who passed away was an elderly adult with underlying medical conditions. No further information will be released about the patient, due to privacy laws. The patient passed away at home, and did not leave the residence during the infectious period, except to seek medical care. All precautions were taken in accordance with CDC guidance to ensure that medical personnel wore the appropriate personal protective equipment.
"We send our sympathy and condolences to the family and friends of this patient who has passed away," commented local Health Officer Dr. Dori Ditty.
"This is a difficult reminder of how severe this disease can be. As a community, we must continue following the guidance of experts at the state and federal levels, practicing all the ways to prevent the spread of this disease - including social distancing. We must continue to protect those who are most vulnerable."
For your safety
The Cass County Health Department would like to remind the community about the symptoms, treatment approach, and testing location for COVID-19.
- Fever greater than 100.1, and combined with a cough or shortness of breath.
- A cough or shortness of breath, either of which are new or changed in the last 14 days.
The CDC has noted that most individuals who acquire COVID-19 will experience mild symptoms, and be able to self-isolate, stay at home for treatment, and will not be tested.
- If you experiencing mild, respiratory-related symptoms, please stay home, rest, drink plenty of fluids (especially water), and monitor your temperature. Taking proper care of yourself at home can stop the spread of COVID-19.
- Older adults and people of any age with certain underlying medical conditions are at higher risk for developing more serious complications from COVID-19 illness.
- If your symptoms get worse as you are monitoring yourself at home, please seek medical care. Call your primary care provider and describe your symptoms. Your primary care provider will direct you on what to do next. If you do not have a primary care provider, please visit the walk-in respiratory clinic at the Cass County 4-H Fairgrounds.
- If you begin experiencing a true medical emergency or see emergency warning signs - sudden or severe trouble breathing, intense pain or pressure in your chest, or other symptoms that are severe or concerning - please call 911.
The Cass County Health Department has a walk-in respiratory clinic in partnership with Logansport Memorial Hospital, to offer a dedicated site for screening and testing of COVID-19. The respiratory clinic is located at:
The Community Building on the Cass County 4-H Fairgrounds
2281 E Co Road 125 N
Logansport, IN 46947
Open 8 am - 8 pm, 7 days per week
- You must have one or more of the respiratory symptoms above to be seen.
- When you get to the clinic, please park and stay in your car. Put on your flashers. Staff will come out to your car to screen you.
As a community, please continue following the preventative guidelines from the CDC about how to protect yourselves and your families:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your face, eyes, nose, and mouth - especially with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneezes with a tissue, throw your tissue away, and wash your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently-touched objects and surfaces.