What is a hysterectomy?Hysterectomy is the surgical term for the removal of the uterus (womb). This results in the inability to become pregnant. There are different types of hysterectomies including
- Supracervical hysterectomy—removal of the uterus only
- Total hysterectomy—removal of the uterus and cervix (the opening of the uterus leading to the vagina)
- Radical hysterectomy—removal of the uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, upper part of the vagina, and the pelvic lymph nodes
Why might you need a hysterectomy?The most common reason for a hysterectomy is related to cancer of the uterus, cervix or ovaries. Hysterectomy is sometimes recommended for other reasons, but should only be considered if all other treatment options have been explored. Hysterectomy is a major surgery and not one to be taken lightly. Noncancerous reasons that may call for a hysterectomy:
- Removing uterine fibroids
- Treating chronic pelvic pain
- Treating heavy bleeding
Minimally invasive hysterectomyThe surgeons at Logansport Memorial Hospital offer minimally invasive hysterectomy procedures whenever possible. Minimally invasive surgery involves a shorter hospital stay, less pain and scarring and an overall faster recovery. Learn more about the benefits of minimally invasive surgery.
If you live in North Central Indiana and need a doctor who focuses on women's health, turn to the Women's Health Center at Logansport Memorial Hospital. We are proud to offer comprehensive health care focused on a woman's unique needs.
Raise breast cancer awareness at this year's River Bluff RunJoin us for a 5K Run & Fun Walk on the beautiful River Bluff Trail - all funds raised support breast cancer screenings for uninsured Cass County women ages 40 and older.
- Date: Saturday, October 8
- Day of registration starts at 7:30 a.m. - race starts at 9 a.m.