The Breast Center at Logansport Memorial Hospital provides comprehensive breast screening, diagnosis and treatment options. Our dedicated physicians and nurses give compassionate, expert care for a full range of breast health needs.
Breast health is an area where proactive care is key. Proactive health care means being aware of changes to your body and taking action when necessary. Proactive breast health means:
- Knowing about breast cancer risk factors
- Understanding your personal risk of breast cancer
- Being informed about screening for the earlier detection of breast cancer
Breast cancer risk factorsRisk factors are not fool-proof predictors of cancer but they do give us things to watch for and help us all be more aware of potential issues. Some women with risk factors never develop cancer. Others with breast cancer have never displayed a risk factor. Regardless, risk factors do provide earmarks that help us be proactive in care and monitor our health.
Use our calculator to determine your risk of developing cancer in the next five years.
Some risk factors are genetic or natural:
- Gender: While men can develop breast cancer, according to the American Cancer Society women are 100 times more likely to have breast cancer.
- Age: Risk of breast cancer increases as we age.
- Genetics: Gene mutations do cause a certain percentage of breast cancers and in some cases, breast cancer is believed to be genetic - when one of these mutations is inherited from a parent.
- Family history: The risk of developing cancer is higher among women whose close blood relatives have had the disease.
- Personal history: The risk of developing cancer is higher among women who have had cancer in one breast.
- Hormone therapy or birth control: Hormones used in these medications have been shown to increase the risk of developing breast cancer.
- Drinking alcohol: Women who have 2-5 drinks daily have a significantly higher risk of developing breast cancer.
- Weight/obesity: Being overweight, particularly after menopause, can increase the risk of developing breast cancer.
If you are concerned about how these risk factors affect your breast health, make an appointment with one of our breast health physicians. Learn more.
Screening for early detectionEarly detection is one of our most powerful weapons in the fight against cancer. For breast cancer, early detection comes most often from mammograms. Learn more about the importance of screening mammograms.
Joyce received her treatment here at Logansport Memorial – the mammograms and ultrasounds, procedures and surgeries, chemotherapy and radiation. She is so grateful she didn’t have to travel far to receive exceptional care, and it allowed her family to be with her every step of the way. Read Joyce’s story.
You can help women like Joyce get the mammograms they need. Proceeds from our upcoming River Bluff 5K Run & Fun Walk go to the Logansport Memorial Hospital Foundation Breast Screening Fund. This fund supports breast screening mammograms for uninsured women ages 40 and older right here in Cass County.